CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Native American Poem: A Hidden Place

Scott, Carol Elain Faivre, "A Hidden Place"
17 Mar, 2008 <http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/holbein/369/napoet.htm#A%20Hidden%20Place>


A Hidden Place
Each of us has a hidden place Somewhere deep within ourselves;A place where we go to get away,To think things through,To be alone, to be ourselves.This unique place, where we confront our deepest feelings,Becomes a storehouse of all our hopes,All our needs, all our dreams,And even our unspoken fears.It encompasses the essence of who we are and what we want to be.But now and then, whether by chance or design,Someone discovers a way into that place we thought was ours alone.And we allow that person to see, to feel and to share All the reason, all the uncertainty And all the emotion we've stored up there.That person adds new perspective to our hidden realm,Then quietly settles down in his own corner of our special place,Where a bit of himself will stay forever.And we call that person a friend.

-Poem by Carol Elaine Faivre-Scott



Reflection:


The author expresses that this hidden place is within all human beings, it's why we act, how we dream, what we like, and it defines us as a person. This hidden place is our individuality what makes us different from everyone else, and escape from the norm, this place is shaped to whatever the person decides it to be. Goals and self made promises are sprouted from a person's hidden place. Without a hidden place a person would be void of emotion, thought, and self-preservation because it helps find ourselves in time of struggle. Although the body wears away over time, a hidden place stays forever.

This poem reminds me when I was a kid in fourth grade. There was this book about meditation one of my parents had, and there was an exercise called, "the secret place". Like the poem, the book described that this secret place shapes to our imagination, defines who we are, and should be visited when troubled so one can find hope to his answers. With all the stress and lack of sleep in my life I could sure use some relaxing in this secret place of mine.

Diary:


Dear Diary,
Our elder Three Bears taught us that no matter how big or small a person is there is a hidden place within all of us. I couldn't really imagine that dirt, bugs, and trees could all be inside me, so I asked him how that could be possible. He smiled at my question and responded that it is not exactly earth that remains in us, but a reflection of ourselves, and that this place changes over time to what we do, what we've felt, and how our fate has shaped us. I thought about Three Bear's words and decided to describe somewhere I hope to see. I've seen a place, where I walk among the rolling ever-green plains and where the trees can never be cut down. I've seen a place, where light tenderly sheds through the thick canopy of the forest, gently brushing the ground. I've seen a place where the desert is always bare, and the sun sets out to the west and streaks crimson on the sky. I've seen a place where nature never lashed its fury. I've seen a place where nothing is ever wasted. I've seen a place where sorrow is but a lesson. I've seen a place where I saw no else, but only me and myself.

What about the Dream? (EQ)

The pilgrims escaped Britain and sought a place where they could establish their own way of life and enjoy the company of their fellow people. However, the pilgrims' dream for a new life cost the lives of many American Indians. The natives of the "New World" were doomed as the zealous puritans sought to establish civilization. Throughout the American timeline, Native Americans were always a target for prejudice and have been constantly oppressed by the "Land of the Free". Indeed it was right for the pilgrims' to seek a freedom, but they were wrong to take away the freedom of these native people.

7 comments:

ORB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Graham said...

You have yourself organized very well by telling me what you felt when reading this story. I like the poems you chose by Bradstreet which seem to have been chosen for the simplicity and shortness, but you still describe them with great detail. Maybe your third poem by Bradstreet should be something that hits closer to home with you and something you can relate too that you would give a great diary about.

Tracey Realty said...

I'll consider your advice, thank you.

ORB said...

Evan, in your reflection you gave mostly an analysis of what the story was saying, but not a lot of what you actually thought of the story. If you could add in what you personally thought, or how it relates to you then I think that it would improve the over all reflection. In your dairy I noticed that you did a very good job interpreting what it would be like being a Native and what thoughts whould have gone through your head. Over all nice job though.
- Sara

Ms. Micallef said...

Evan

I like your layout for this section. Sara's comments are very good. I don't understand by Graham is commenting on Bradstreet for the Native American posting?
While I like your message in the diary entry, I would also like for you to tie into the white man arriving in the new world - how would you as a native american feel?

Ms. Mic

Tracey Realty said...

Sara, you are right about my analysis. I need to tie it in with a personal experience, which would further reflect the passage. Thank you for your comment.

John Graham said...

I put the Bradstreet poem in the wrong comment box. I love how you analyzed the story and related it to yourself in the past. The diary really made me believe that I was with the Native Americans with using the names they would use. Like with the what I said with the poem, you have yourself very well organized.