Make me, O Lord, thy Spinning Wheele compleat;
Thy Holy Worde my Distaff make for mee.
Make mine Affections thy Swift Flyers neate,
And make my Soule thy holy Spoole to bee.
My Conversation make to be thy Reele,
And reele the yarn thereon spun of thy Wheele.
Make me thy Loome then, knit therein this Twine:
And make thy Holy Spirit, Lord, winde quills:
Then weave the Web thyselfe. The yarn is fine.
Thine Ordinances make my Fulling Mills.
Then dy the same in Heavenly Colours Choice,
All pinkt with Varnish't Flowers of Paradise.
Then cloath therewith mine Understanding, Will,
Affections, Judgment, Conscience, Memory;
My Words and Actions, that their shine may fill
My wayes with glory and thee glorify.
Then mine apparell shall display before yee
That I am Cloathd in Holy robes for glory.
Reflection:
This poem is basically the process of marriage. The speaker is obviously a man, who prays to God throughout his life, and asks for God's grace and guidance. In the first paragraph, the speaker prays and asks to be guided to find the right women in his life. For example, "Make mine Affections thy Swift Flyers neate… My conversation make to be thy Reele". This portrays the speaker's request to find the women in his life that is right for him; when he finds that woman, may God grant him the right words to woo her. The second verse discusses the journey through time the couple carries on, "Make me thy Loome then, knit therein this Twine: And make thy Holy Spirit, Lord, winde quills: Then weave the Web thyselfe. The yarn is fine". The speaker has found the right women in his life, but he prays to God to make his marriage work so that he and his wife will bring joy to each other's lives. In the final verse, the speaker once again prays to God, that after all the laughs, tears, and time the couple has gone through together, God will recognize the goodness in their union and find the honor in their marriage, finally welcoming them into his kingdom with open arms.
It seems as though we can all relate to the author. Not really just finding someone in your life, but finding enough peace and happiness, and that is rare to find especially in a time of war. Lives are lost, the economy recesses, and the country itself splits into factions and feuds. Pressure is put upon everyone to join a side, "Are you republican? democrat? independent?" what's the point to ask a kid that kind of a question? I don't even pay my own taxes.
Thy Holy Worde my Distaff make for mee.
Make mine Affections thy Swift Flyers neate,
And make my Soule thy holy Spoole to bee.
My Conversation make to be thy Reele,
And reele the yarn thereon spun of thy Wheele.
Make me thy Loome then, knit therein this Twine:
And make thy Holy Spirit, Lord, winde quills:
Then weave the Web thyselfe. The yarn is fine.
Thine Ordinances make my Fulling Mills.
Then dy the same in Heavenly Colours Choice,
All pinkt with Varnish't Flowers of Paradise.
Then cloath therewith mine Understanding, Will,
Affections, Judgment, Conscience, Memory;
My Words and Actions, that their shine may fill
My wayes with glory and thee glorify.
Then mine apparell shall display before yee
That I am Cloathd in Holy robes for glory.
Reflection:
This poem is basically the process of marriage. The speaker is obviously a man, who prays to God throughout his life, and asks for God's grace and guidance. In the first paragraph, the speaker prays and asks to be guided to find the right women in his life. For example, "Make mine Affections thy Swift Flyers neate… My conversation make to be thy Reele". This portrays the speaker's request to find the women in his life that is right for him; when he finds that woman, may God grant him the right words to woo her. The second verse discusses the journey through time the couple carries on, "Make me thy Loome then, knit therein this Twine: And make thy Holy Spirit, Lord, winde quills: Then weave the Web thyselfe. The yarn is fine". The speaker has found the right women in his life, but he prays to God to make his marriage work so that he and his wife will bring joy to each other's lives. In the final verse, the speaker once again prays to God, that after all the laughs, tears, and time the couple has gone through together, God will recognize the goodness in their union and find the honor in their marriage, finally welcoming them into his kingdom with open arms.
It seems as though we can all relate to the author. Not really just finding someone in your life, but finding enough peace and happiness, and that is rare to find especially in a time of war. Lives are lost, the economy recesses, and the country itself splits into factions and feuds. Pressure is put upon everyone to join a side, "Are you republican? democrat? independent?" what's the point to ask a kid that kind of a question? I don't even pay my own taxes.
Diary:
Dear Diary,
Life aboard this ship is dull as can be. All of us are cramped, suffocating in the same air, and waiting. Waiting for the day we reach the island. That's all we can do is wait. However, there is something else that's occupying my mind. I found her again. I met her, my angel for the second time. I'm not sure where to start, what she likes to hear. I can't go through these unexpected meetings and just say hello; my tongue is tied and my stomach aches. How can I woo her, get her to know me? How can I acquire that sweet tongue that draws women like honey to flies? All I can do is pray to God that some day, some time, I will be able to draw her into me. I feel this woman like no other, her warmth, her touch, that delicate innocence in her eyes. Like no other! All I can do is hope that my senses are right about this woman. My tongue is my rod, and God my consultant. God grant me the words to touch her heart.
Dear Diary,
Life aboard this ship is dull as can be. All of us are cramped, suffocating in the same air, and waiting. Waiting for the day we reach the island. That's all we can do is wait. However, there is something else that's occupying my mind. I found her again. I met her, my angel for the second time. I'm not sure where to start, what she likes to hear. I can't go through these unexpected meetings and just say hello; my tongue is tied and my stomach aches. How can I woo her, get her to know me? How can I acquire that sweet tongue that draws women like honey to flies? All I can do is pray to God that some day, some time, I will be able to draw her into me. I feel this woman like no other, her warmth, her touch, that delicate innocence in her eyes. Like no other! All I can do is hope that my senses are right about this woman. My tongue is my rod, and God my consultant. God grant me the words to touch her heart.




1 comments:
First off, I really enjoyed how you presented you Dairy entry. It was quite sweet, and showed also that you have a good understanding of the poem and of the time period. Also you did well in analyzing the poem in your reflection. If you could somehow connect the poem to your life then that would be and excellent addition, but besides that it looks good. Good job.
-Sara
Post a Comment